Former marathon World Champion given two year suspension and 87500 Euro fine.

The case of former Marathon World Champion, Roel Paulissen, took a turn for the distinct worse today when the Belgian Cycling Federation's prosecutors recommended a 24 month suspension and 87,500 euro fine for the mountain biker following two separate positive tests for clomiphene in June.

In Paulissen's opinion, the idea of doping with clomiphene is ridiculous, even with the knowledge that clomiphene has often been used in the past as a masking agent for steroids. Masking agent or not, Paulissen contends that the easy detection and the long half-life of the female hormone would make it a silly risk.

"Clomiphene is detectable. For me, it was found for the first time on June 6th, and then again, nearly two weeks later. If I wanted to dope, wouldn't I take a product that stays in my body for a much shorter period of time?"

The rider, who retired immediately upon notification of his two positives, has still gone to great lengths to prove his innocence.

"I spent a lot of effort building up my defense. I know what I'm talking about. I also know that I would be foolish to dope with clomiphene, even in the famous micro-doses the media is now so full of."

Paulissen now has a tense two week wait to find out what the ultimate ruling on his fate will be.

"I have enough evidence to prove that I did not knowingly dope. There is no reason to suspend me."

No comments:

Post a Comment