Pakistani 'bad boy' cricketer has doping ban overturned ?

On November 1, 2006, Shoaib was banned for two years after he and team-mate Mohammed Asif tested positive to the performance-enhancing substance nandrolone.

Shoaib was acquitted by a tribunal, which ruled the PCB's drug-testing procedures were technically flawed. Former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq has accused Shoaib of steroid abuse, but the paceman who has taken 178 Test wickets maintains he is clean.


"I have never used that stuff, mate," he says. "I don't need to cheat with drugs. I have bowled more than 100mph for years, so why would I use drugs to enhance my performance? The story was this - the PCB tested the whole team. My normal nandrolone level was higher and my argument was this figure cannot be the same for every person on the planet.


"Some people have higher levels of testosterone and nandrolone. You can't define it. It's such a controversial subject that there cannot be one figure for every athlete. I pleaded this in court ... and I was cleared."

No comments:

Post a Comment