BBC wales reports 'Bodybuilders getting chest lumps'.

Surgeons in Swansea say they have seen a big rise in the number of men with non-cancerous chest lumps caused by taking body building supplements. The growths, known as gynaecomastia, are not dangerous, but are normally seen in adolescent males or people taking prescribed medication.

Consultant Breast Surgeon Nader Khonji said the number of men presenting with lumps has risen from around one a week to almost one a day.
"There's been a significant growth," said Mr Khonji. "I would say I see six patients a week overall now with gynaecomastia, which is a definite increase over the last few years.

"I think a lot of this is to do with the increased awareness of body image amongst men.
"This is leading them to go down the road of weight training and taking supplement and anabolic steroids, which ironically then cause them to develop the breast tissue," he added.

Michael Thomas, 21, from Swansea, is one of the patients to have a lump removed.
He had been taking creatine, a completely legal supplement to help bulk up his muscles. But he then started to notice something going wrong. "There was a bit of soreness and I thought it was a bit strange," Mr Thomas said. "From when I first started training, I had little lumps there, but the lump on the left hand side started to get a bit bigger, so I went to the doctor."

A scan revealed a non-cancerous growth in his chest, which he decided to have removed. "It's nothing too much to worry about," he said. "It wasn't too serious, but something needed to be done about it."

1 comment:

  1. It is very interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete