Retired Sweden goalie convicted of doping.

A retired goalkeeper who played in two World Cups for Sweden was convicted of doping Tuesday after police tests revealed traces of anabolic steroids in his blood.

Magnus Hedman was fined $757 by the Solna district. Using anabolic steroids for nonmedical purposes is illegal in Sweden. He has denied deliberately taking steroids.

The 36-year-old Hedman played with Chelsea and Coventry in England and Celtic in Scotland. He played 58 games for Sweden, including the 1994 and 2002 World Cups and two European Championships.

Hedman was tested for drug use by police in May after they found suspected illegal substances in his car. No charges related to drug possession were filed.

In an interview with the Swedish tabloid Expressen he suggested the drug might have been included in a nutritional supplement he believed was vitamins.

"I find it very difficult to assess when I made my mistake," he said. "I was unaware of it myself."

No risk of me moving to Sweden any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment